CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday 30 March 2008

Cold Truth

So, 2 weeks ago, it's my last day at work. I've been there almost 17 years, so it's really hard to leave everyone behind. That said, some of the people? Wish I'd left them years ago.

We all went out in the evening. Well, I'd been out at lunchtime too, so it promised to be a good night. And it was. Loads of people came out, some people I didn't expect to come out, which was fab, because the drinking thing, it's not for everyone. Specially, because when I do go out on a night like this, there's not really much of an opportunity for food, unless chips happen to fall in your mouth from a plague of raining chips as you walk from one pub to another. Which I've always sort of hoped for, but it's yet to happen.

One pub led to another. It always does. There were tears, not mine. There are always girls who cry for no reason. Why does that happen? Are we still in school? Good grief.

We ended up in an 80s bar, which is always kind of an end of night thing with us. You know, at the beginning of the night, it's the worst place that you could think of ending up, and you wouldn't be seen dead in it. Halfway through the evening, you start to think about where's a good place that you can all stay late, and some people can have a dance. Come half eleven, it's all "Oh God! Wham! I love this one!" and you're away. We danced me and him, messing around, having a laugh. We may have shared a quick kiss, no big deal, hardly anyone left that had started out with us, and nothing more than a peck anyway.

Fast forward, if you will, two weeks later. One of my friends from the old office leaving to start a new life in Dublin. I went to say goodbye to her. Same old faces, but already I felt like I didn't belong, that I've moved on, I have a different road to take now. He was there and someone commented to him that now his girlfriend had turned up. We were a couple, weren't we? We had, apparently, been the talk of the office in those two weeks, not that he knew anything about it of course. Men don't really enter into that sort of gossip (well, if they do, they don't often admit to it), and anyway I guess that people knew that he'd give them short shrift if they asked him anything about us.

I watched him when he was asked the question. He laughed and said no, we weren't a couple.

And that's the cold truth.

13 comments:

Manic Mother Of Five said...

So what the hell are you?????? Did you ask him?????? Grrrrrrrrrr. Heckles are up!!!!!

And need details of the new job. Come on woman!!!

Swearing Mother said...

Hold on a minute there - did he say "no" you aren't a couple because he's keeping it a secret from all the gosspips, or just plain "no"?

There's a difference.

Hmm....

farming-frenchstyle said...

Yes, been there, done that - leaving do's. Great. Pub first, then the night club. You sure get to know who is who.

Don't be too backward in coming forward.

Lola said...

Oooh nooooo! Unless it's OK with you? Are you or aren't you? Oh, I don't know, as long as you're happy. Are you happy?

menopausaloldbag (MOB) said...

I'm picturing electrodes attached to his nuts...I'm picturing his nipples wired to the natioal grid....

belle said...

you know, my lovely, I'm not sure I'm warming to him ...

Mid-lifer said...

Oh god that's harsh! I'm not sure I like him much either.

I'm afraid I get v. nostalgic at farewells and um yes I do cry, a bit, sometimes (not leaving jobs tho!!) But as you said, your going in a different direction now. Don't look back!

Anonymous said...

Gossip or not, he should have thought about his answer before causing the hurt he so obviously has done, to you.

CJ xx

Pam said...

Okay, so that was 7 days ago and I'm hoping you've had a better feeling from him since.
You said in your post that he's not the kind who would be forthcoming with the people at work? So then of course he'd be vague, right?

belle said...

Award for you at mine, sweet x

aims said...

Where the hell have I been? It's now April 10 and I trip over the fact that you posted!! Good grief..get a grip on reality here Aims...

And the word was 'No'!!

Give your head a shake girl.

That's cruel.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Transplante de Cabelo, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://transplante-de-cabelo.blogspot.com. A hug.

Swearing Mother said...

Oi, wassup?