CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday 28 May 2008

The Tuesday Tantrum

Good evening everyone, and welcome once again to The Tuesday Tantrum. Beg pardon? I'm sorry? Yes of course I know it's Wednesday, I'm not a buffoon. Do you want to make something of it? Do you want to come here and say that? Are you talking to me?

And anyway, its not my fault that I'm a day late doing the Tuesday post. It's Sir Alan Sugar's fault. If he was a bit more of a man, he'd have said 'No. Stuff off. I'm not moving to a Tuesday night for The Apprentice to be on television, and I don't care what sort of football match is on. It's not Tottenham, is it? Stupid television controller, you're fired!' That's what he'd have said, I reckon. Also, it's not my fault that I was really tired, because I haven't been sleeping very well, because when I'm at work I drink too much coffee, and in our coffee machine, you can have it extra, extra, extra, extra strong, and then that means that when I'm at work, I'm all whizz bang tiddly pom, and I don't seem to be able to come down at all because of the caffeine and I talk a lot and sometimes it means my sentences are really long, because I'm still a bit thingy.

And also, it's not my fault, because I can't be held responsible for everything round here you know, it's not like someone died and put me in charge of the world and made everybody do what I say and all of a sudden no-one can do anything without checking with me first, and if things don't get done then all of a sudden everyone's looking at me and going 'Well I was waiting for her and look at her, she's meant to be doing a blog or something and she can't even do that when she's meant to, so I don't see why I should have had to do the washing.'

Anyway, if you haven't already guessed, this week's Tuesday Tantrum is about whining.

Dear GOD, the whining. I work in an office for heaven's sake. Not a kindergarten. Not a home for people with challenging and debilitating illnesses, or even mildly irritating ones. Some of the people are mildly irritating. Some of them are like Olympic Irritants.

In case you ever work for me, I'll give you a few ground rules:-

I am a very caring team leader. But if you are late every day, I will lose patience, and I will not be interested that your alarm clock has broken/your girlfriend has dumped you/your car has broken down/you have a bad stomach. Just get up a bit earlier and do us all a favour.

I am a very caring team leader (see the theme here?). But if you have not done the work I asked you to, and this happens consistently, I will not care that the systems are slow/the telephone is busy/you've lost your pen/it's too noisy/you thought someone else was doing it/the moon isn't in alignment with Venus. Just get your finger out and earn your damn money.

I am a very caring colleague (ah, a subtle difference), but I am not interested in sitting and watching you bumble your way round the computer, hoping to stumble upon the right thing, while I'm POINTING AT IT WITH MY BLOODY FINGER, while you say that no-one's ever shown you, and how did I know that, and is it your job, and did you ought to speak to someone about it, despite the fact that you've been there years longer than I have, and that's what you get paid for.

Anyway, I think I'm done now. I might have been a bit whiny myself. Sorry about that.

Anything on your mind?

8 comments:

Lola said...

I have been a Manager of Men (and Women, and Budgets) in the past. I did it because the opportunity came up and they asked nicely and paid me a bit extra and I wanted to know if I could do it. I Will Never Do It Again. Don't get me started on Budgets.

Thanks for the opportunity to get this off my chest. You should charge, it's as good as therapy.

aims said...

I am so glad I don't have to go out to work.

On the other hand the work I do around here - well...um...never mind.

Swearing Mother said...

Tina, I just wouldn't know where to start this week. What is the matter with people? How did they get to be so dumb? I think my previously mentioned shit-for-brains syndrome must be far more prevalent than I thought, especially where I work.

Some of the stuff that's happened this week beggars belief. I'd love to be able to tell you about it but fear reprisals as these days no one can be criticised or a comment made without it being called "harrassment" and the stupid buggers going off with "stress". Stress, my arse. Let's just say that there are people out there who just don't give a shit about anything, just want to take the money and run, and if anyone dares mention that they're taking the proverbial p*ss, they have an attack of the vapours. Accountability? Pah!

Meanwhile, people like us are trying to get the job done right. The phrase "thankless task" was invented for us.

Phew. Didn't realise how much I needed that.

travelling, but not in love said...

I hate whiners. I prefer a good rant to a gentle whine.

It`s all this passive aggressive stuff that really gets me. I can handle passive. I can handle aggressive. What I can`t handle is someone who says nothing for months then suddenly explodes.

But I can handle all of this better than whiners and whingers.....

Millennium Housewife said...

I have been going through a shall I/ shan't I go back to work thingy, decision made, cheers! MH

menopausaloldbag (MOB) said...

Ah there's nowt like a good moan sometimes!

travelling, but not in love said...

Hello? hello? Anyone home?

Stinking Billy said...

You don't scare me, and I still think you are "Too young for a midwife and too old for a tampon."