CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday 18 November 2007

The Call

December 1st, 2005.

An unremarkable day, a tick in the box of life, destined to be one more spent with little achieved, little lost, equilibrium maintained.

After 5pm, at work. The noise of a busy office only noticeable now in its absence, the hum of the heating gone, the gentle tap tap of a distant keyboard, the under the breath crooning of the cleaner.

I had a different job back then, before I became a manager. I was a techie, not a people person, back in the day. He was the person I referred to, the person in the office that always had time to help, the person who could answer any question.

My friend.

I had waited until the office was quiet; I had a difficult query, needed to ask his advice about how to deal with this particular piece of work. I went to his desk, explained. We sat engrossed in the file, while he wrote down notes, asked me questions, referred to the computer, asked more questions.

His mobile rang under his desk. I heard it as only background noise, a quiet little tune. We carried on. It beeped, the shrill insistence of voice-mail, demanding attention.

He noticed it then, played back the message, started to walk away from his desk while he listened to it. I had caught a few brief words as he listened, his sister in law, trying not to cry. He walked halfway down the office, leaning on the filing cabinets, looking out of the window, across the square to the cathedral. I watched his back and his shoulders, his head hanging down while he talked and listened, listened and talked, wrote on a small piece of paper. I debated leaving quietly, not wanting to intrude. But I stayed at his desk, waiting. Waiting for him to finish.

Waiting.

I saw him finish the call and walk back towards his desk. I looked at him, not asking, but waiting for him to see if he wanted or needed to talk to me.

It was his brother. He had smelt gas at work, he had said. He had wanted to know if anyone else could, it was strong. No one else could. It got worse, he had started to feel worse. And worse. An ambulance called. A seizure. Tests, scans, all done by the afternoon. A brain tumour, they thought.

I stood away from the desk and watched him while he told me. I opened my arms and stepped forward, pulling him tight against me. He leaned his head on to my shoulder, I heard a ragged, sobbing breath, and then he raised his head, face composed.

I carried on hugging, trying to give him my strength, trying to support him, trying to make it alright.

But I couldn't.

I couldn't.

10 comments:

The Woman who Can said...

I'm hoping with this post, you will all indulge me just a little, & allow me a little trip back in time, to explain why it is the way it is with him.

Please don't let that stop you commenting though!

belle said...

First up, this is beautifully written. You convey so well how it was.

Secondly, forgive my incredulity, you, a techie?? Did I read that right? Did I just know you in a parallel universe ...?

menopausaloldbag (MOB) said...

Amazing and touching and bloody well written. No need to indulge you - it is a fabulous post and you should carry on with the story.

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei seu blog pelo google está bem interessante gostei desse post. Gostaria de falar sobre o CresceNet. O CresceNet é um provedor de internet discada que remunera seus usuários pelo tempo conectado. Exatamente isso que você leu, estão pagando para você conectar. O provedor paga 20 centavos por hora de conexão discada com ligação local para mais de 2100 cidades do Brasil. O CresceNet tem um acelerador de conexão, que deixa sua conexão até 10 vezes mais rápida. Quem utiliza banda larga pode lucrar também, basta se cadastrar no CresceNet e quando for dormir conectar por discada, é possível pagar a ADSL só com o dinheiro da discada. Nos horários de minuto único o gasto com telefone é mínimo e a remuneração do CresceNet generosa. Se você quiser linkar o Cresce.Net(www.provedorcrescenet.com) no seu blog eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. If is possible add the CresceNet(www.provedorcrescenet.com) in your blogroll, I thank. Good bye friend.

Swearing Mother said...

But you tried, Tina, you tried. And that's enough.

Lovely writing, lovely sentiment, just lovely.

The Woman who Can said...

Belle thank you. You see where I work, a techie is a person who works on files, rather than a person who manages people. Worry not, I remain forever your techno-numpty friend.

MOB, that's very kind. I shall indeed continue.

Crescenet, you will have to forgive me but I only did a year of Spanish at school. I believe you may be spamming me, a rough translation of your text shows me that you wish me to get involved in something to do with sweating connections & sleeping dial ups. It all sounds jolly interesting, but I'm afraid I shall have to decline.

Sm, that's very kind, it just never seemed enough, you know?

Anonymous said...

Real as it may be, you ought to elaborate a little and write a book about it. Or are you already doing that?

Very well written piece.

Best wishes, Crystal xx

The Woman who Can said...

Crystal, am stunned by your praise. No, there is no book, at the moment a shopping list is ambitious. Maybe in the future though.

Manic Mother Of Five said...

Hey Tina. Read this with mixed reactions...... This man broke your heart, I don't want to feel sympathy towards him, I want to slap him and tell him what a stupid fuck wit he must be for letting you go. And then I remember how special you are and the grace that emanates from every word you write and I know I will listen and warm to him and understand........ And be heartbroken all over again when he leaves you.

Love your writing x

The Woman who Can said...

MMOF, your words are so touching. Even when my heart has been breaking, I've tried to make people see that he's a special man, and he really is.

Thank you