CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday 16 August 2007

What Was I Saying?

I used to have a really good memory. In fact, I had a great memory. It irritated the bejesus out of some of my friends because it wasn't even affected by alcohol. I would go out with my bestest drinking friend, get completely slaughtered, as would he, then as we were trying to get over our mutual hangovers the next day, I would say things like "Do you remember when you flicked candle wax into my dinner at the restaurant?" or "Do you remember what you said about THAT person?", and he was always astonished that I remembered. At least for the first few times. After that, he got wise to me, and knew that if he told me something, he could never hope that I'd forget it.

Something has gone badly awry. It's no use telling me that I'm getting older. I'm not 40 yet, so don't be throwing that one at me. In the last two months, I figure to have lost 70% of my memory. And that's only 70% of the memory I remember having, it could be more than that, if I don't remember having the correct amount. In the last two months I've lost my watch because I can't remember where I put it, and think it's got thrown out with the rubbish. I've lost my slippers about twelve times, and I have to get my son to go and look for them, because I get so frustrated that I could weep at having lost my slippers AGAIN. Just this week, I've lost a loaf of bread. I remember that I bought it, because my son and I went to the shop to get some cheese bread and they didn't have any, so we bought a crusty farmhouse loaf instead, and we had about 4 slices off it, and now I can't find the rest of it.

Just how ridiculous is it to lose a loaf of bread?

I think that I've probably cleared all sorts of wrappings and boxes and everyday rubbish off the worktop and thrown the bread in the bin. But what if I haven't? What if I find it somewhere bizarre in the next two years, and I only find it then because I've had to call in the Environmental Health and they say to me "Well Tina, I think the disgusting odour you've complained about is because you have a 2 year old loaf of bread in your electric meter cupboard."

I'm worried that I'll lose something important next time. Like my house keys, my phone, my handbag,

Or my mind.

But to be honest, even my bestest friends would say that they haven't seen it for a long time.

8 comments:

Rainbow said...

I know what you mean, although I'm a bit older than you. The other day I asked my daughter something, and she said. 'But we talked about that last night, I told you all about it, don't you remember?' I still don't remember a thing about it!

Seriously, though, going alongside your other health issues, have you mentioned it to your doctor? May be safer to...

Rainbow (who's feeling much more herself today, thanks for your concern!)

The Woman who Can said...

Glad you're feeling better Rainbow! I'm back at the docs next week for a check up, so it's well worth mentioning. That's always supposing that I remember to turn up...

belle said...

Tina, Tina, Tina! It's because you've been filling your head with new stuff like Modernism and Existentialism ... you know the other stuff falls out of the back when you do that ;o) Besides, you've nothing to worry about, you've not lost/forgotten your son yet. Unlike me. My defence is that I'd not had him long. So leaving him sitting on the roof of the car while I started the reverse down the drive is entirely understandably ...

The Woman who Can said...

Of course its understandable Belle. Only my son is so noisy, I would have to go deaf to lose him within a 5 mile radius. You're right, its the new stuff...

Swearing Mother said...

I can honestly recommend memory loss as a means of keeping fit, especially if you wear glasses. I regularly have to run up and down stairs, out to the car, back into the kitchen etc., etc., to find them as I never know where the heck I've left the damn things which I only need for reading. The exercise I am getting has saved me pounds on a gym membership. I know I ought to get one of those chain things and hang my specs around my neck, but that's just a bit too sensible for me.

The Woman who Can said...

Swearing Mother - totally with you on the glasses, I've only had them about 2 months so I'm not used to them yet. And its only the fact that theycost me about the same as a small country in South America that keeps me looking for them

belle said...

I got my new glasses the day before I joined my family on the field in Somerset. The first morning there I woke to find I'd rolled over and squashed them ...

The Woman who Can said...

Oh Belle! New glasses again?