CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday 30 September 2007

Rediscovery

Today, I have rediscovered the life before my degree. I've been studying for 6 long years, and I've enjoyed them. Who wouldn't? Reading books, looking at pictures, watching plays, with the odd essay thrown in every now & then to make sure you've been paying attention. How can you possibly go wrong with that combination?

I could have done another degree I suppose, but nothing's ever grabbed me like reading, as a hobby. Well, I suppose vodka & tonic might run it a close second, but that's not so much of a hobby, more of a stress relief, if you will. And I could read every day, but I couldn't drink vodka & tonic every day, I get terrible hangovers. Except if I drank every day, I'd never sober up, now would I? I'm going to write a new hobby list I think. I'm going to put that one above 'looking at the garden, to see what other people could do with it'.

It is very strange though, not studying any more. I'm drawn a little to looking to see what courses I could take in the future. Physics perhaps? No, I had a bad experience in Physics at school & leant too far back on my lab stool & tipped off the back. That sort of thing can put you off a subject for life. Let alone that I never understood a word of it. Italian? I like a pizza as much as the next woman.Especially if the next woman is Mrs PizzaHut. But when would I use it? I've only been to Italy once, Rome in fact. Got engaged by the Trevi Fountain. As I'm now divorced for the second time, you don't need me to tell you that THAT can put you off a subject for life, either.

So instead, I shall return to my first love. David Cassidy. No, I beg your pardon, I MEANT to say reading. As the lovely Belle has tagged me I shall endeavour to oblige, and then I'll have a meander around your blogs, so you can be IT too.

First up, my Total Number of Books. Well, goodness. I'm right by the bookshelf, so hold on for a minute. OK, I lost count after 63, because some of the spines look the same. Very clearly over 100, because they're all scattered around the house too. Probably around 150.

The Last Book I Read - this was Mercy by Jodi Piccoult. I love her books, and I whip through them at an alarming rate of knots. She writes the sort of books that make you curl up on the sofa, and drink hot chocolate, and then sit up in shock, wondering where the comfort has gone. And usually, where the day has gone too. Thoroughly recommend her, loved her book called The Tenth Circle, which was a take on Dante.

The Last Book I Bought - I'm a bit of an old skinflint with book buying, of late. I do love books, but I don't have so much money to spend so they become a guilty pleasure. I haunt the library instead, & try to avoid the men who smell of toilets. They probably try to avoid me too. I'm the strange woman, always in a hurry, who always walks with her head at a 90 degree angle to read the spines of the books. Barely even straighten when I'm at the counter. Which is a worry. And not just to me. So I most definitely know the answer - it was Don't Tell Mummy, by Toni Maguire. True story. Rips your heart out, and chews it. And makes you wonder why you don't have to be licensed to have children. Don't read it if you're easily upset, because it's true.

Five Meaningful Books - well now. This is a difficult one. I'll start with The Ripening Seed (Or Le Ble en Herbe) by Colette, which I read for my French A-Level. Gave me a lifelong love of poetic novels, and Colette. Next up, I'll have Little Women by Louise May Alcott. One of the first books I remember reading as a child & wanting so desperately to be Jo. I have a copy now, and have probably read it upwards of 7 or 8 times. Next we have to have To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. There just aren't words to describe it, read it if you haven't and you'll love it for ever. Next, I'm going to have Catcher In The Rye, by J D Salinger. The book every teenager should read, and every grown up too. Vivid, and utterly believable. And finally, I'm going to have an obscure one, Gone, Baby, Gone by Dennis Lehane. A great crime writer, fantastic stories, and meaningful for me for a whole host of personal reasons.

Phew, I need a lie down after that.

Time for a new book, I think.

6 comments:

Swearing Mother said...

Great to hear you've got space to do whatever you like now Tina, even if that does include the odd V and T!

Thanks for visiting my blog and for the lovely comments. I really do appreciate it. Your book selection sounds a lot like mine, we must be kindred spirits!

belle said...

Wow, Tina, am very impressed! I only tagged you yesterday and already you're done :o) Liking your books a lot. Trouble is, my 5 meaningful ones change almost hourly ...

Mid-lifer said...

Um..you're obviously better than me cos Belle tagged me too and I've not even turned my attention too it (far too wrapped up in my own angst).

Jodi Picoult is my great fave at the moment too. Last one I read was the Plain Truth set amongst the Amish. Really looking forward to reading mercy..but perhaps I better save all this for my blog..

Thanks for dropping by my blog too and giving me your vote of confidence....soooo jealous you've finished your studies when I'm just about to go back to mine!

The Woman who Can said...

SM - I think books are so personal, you can tell such a lot about people from their choice of books. Ours tells people that we are charming, witty and educated..

Belle - I was even in danger of changing them as I wrote them! That was really hard! Can I have an easy tag next time please?

Mid-Lifer - thanks for popping by. I loved Plain Truth too, I have my eye on Nineteen Minutes next. I'll keep popping in, you know, to make sure you're getting on OK. It was supportive people that got me through my 6 years, so it's time for me to give back, I think!

Unknown said...

I am impressed too, by everyone who's done this meme, because it's very evident that they love books and reading - great list and some terrific suggestions too for my future TBR pile :)

Anonymous said...

Nice to see you back. And again by having an interesting post. [url=http://financialhelpforsinglemomsnow.com]financial help[/url]
You nicely summed up the issue. I would add that this doesn’t exactly concenplate often. xD Anyway, good post…